Friendly Street junction of Lewisham Way Lewisham, London
Acting on behalf of an overseas investor, the former Albertines Public House fronting Lewisham Way was purchased on an unconditional basis from Enterprise Inns. The objective was to undertake a conversion of the public house to create four residential apartments. The public house which had been built in the late 1880’s was located in a conservation area.
Planning was granted by Lewisham Borough Council for four residential apartments. The elevations of the building were retained, but a new floor structure, roof and windows were installed as part of the conversion.
Further to a follow up meeting with the planners it was agreed they would support the development of two new houses in the rear courtyard area that fronted Friendly Street. The required preliminary site investigations were carried out which included topographical and geotechnical reports, and a substainability and a services report. A notice was served and party wall awards were agreed with the adjoining owner.
Once the existing public House was converted into four apartments, Eastern Square submitted planning for two new four-bedroom semi-detached houses. Planning was granted and once the conditions were satisfied Tender Documentation was prepared and a locally based construction company was awarded a building contract.
The site was cleared, levelled, drainage was laid and the trenches were excavated for the foundations. The building control officers, together with inspectors from BLP warranty providers, undertook regular inspections throughout the construction. The foundations, the elevations, first floor roof build and roof construction was completed. Bathrooms, kitchens and appliances were installed and wooden flooring laid to all living rooms before marketing was undertaken and the houses sold.